Using a numbers chart 1-10 is a great way to get your child started on learning their numbers.
The chart vertically lists the numbers down the page.
Beside each number is the word for the number and corresponding number of images.
The chart is free and printable in pdf format – download the numbers chart 1-10 here.
Preschool Number Chart Activities
- Print out the chart and have it stuck on a wall, door or fridge for easy reference.
- Develop a daily routine where you count the numbers with your child. Perhaps before bedtime or when play time is over, go through some counting exercises to wind down your pre-schooler. Repetition and fun are the key to success.
- Point to each number as you count on the numbers chart. Take turns pointing to the numbers – your child will benefit even more by being involved.
- Once your child is able to recognise the numbers, start teaching your pre-schooler to recognise the word for each number. You can also have them count the objects next to each number.
- Play games using the number chart. This is especially important once your child is confident with the numbers and you need to add some complexity to the lessons. Some games you can play are:
- Find the number – ask your child to find random numbers on the numbers chart
- What comes next – call out a number and have your child find the number that comes next on the numbers chart
- Rocket ship – Count down from ten with your child. Have your child crouch down with their hands together above their head. After you count down to one call blast off and have your child jump into the air.
Remember to make it as fun as possible. Don’t let your child struggle through any activity as that is a sure way to turn them off counting.
Other Useful Tools to use with the Numbers Chart 1-10
Teaching your child to count to 5 and then ten is one of the first steps you can take as a parent to prepare your child for the numerical world we live in.
Try some of our other suggested tools to help teach your pre-schooler their numbers. There’s a range of pages on guruparents.com that can help.
The preschool math page has some great activities that can give you great ideas for using with the Numbers Chart 1-10.