Your child can start handwriting with our alphabet worksheets. These worksheets provide preschoolers a great activity to develop their writing skills while reinforcing letter recognition.
A child that is familiar with the letters of the alphabet before they begin school, has an invaluable head start! Alphabet writing worksheets are a handy tool to help get to this stage. Knowing how to write letters, the sounds of each letter, and how sounds begin words, puts your child in a great position to learn to read.
We have created a unique page for each letter of the alphabet – with a capital and lower case version for each letter. Depending on your child’s familiarity with letters and sounds
So your child can identify with the letter they are about to trace, start by discussing the letter – for example:
- What is this letter?
- What sound does this letter make?
- What words start with this letter? (starting with the image on the page!)
You might like to trace the first few, showing your child the right way to form a letter before letting them have a try.
Start out with easy letters
- When teaching your child to write letters it seems logical to teach them in alphabetical order, however some letters and sounds are more difficult than others.
- Letters with simple strokes are easier for young children to master – B, D, E, F, M, N, P and R are good to start with as they all feature a down stroke common to all.
- Vowels should be taught early as they are so commonly used and once learnt provide children with the opportunity to go on and begin form basic two and three letter words.
- Another early goal could be to teach your child to write the letters of their name.
- Remember to make handwriting as fun as possible and that you give your child plenty of encouragement and praise for their efforts.
- Capital letters are easier for children to write as they have simpler movements.
1. Upper Case
2. Lower Case
More Printable Worksheets
Looking for more preschool worksheets? Guruparents has a range of alphabet worksheets and preschool worksheets that are free for parents to download and available for print out. You can view the entire range of worksheets, charts and flashcards here.